The Gilbert & Sullivan Society : Manchester
Notices: Sunday December 4th 2016
This is the Harold Sumner meeting, ie the one when we particularly think of Harold and how much he enjoyed meetings and what he contributed to this Society. Also the wonderful legacy he left us which enables us to secure professional performers for some of our meetings.
1) If you are not coming on the Society Group visit to the Royal Northern College of Music’s La Vie Parisienne on December 17th and wish to book on your own, please note that it will also be performed on Wednesday December 7th, Friday 9th, Sunday 11th at 3.00 pm, Tuesday 13th and Thursday 15th and Saturday 17th. Weeknight performances are at 7.30 pm. Full price £36, Senior citizens £32.40. Website www.rncm.ac.uk Email email@example.com or tel 0161 907 5555
2) Also you may be interested in Salford Choral Society’s Messiah at the College on Saturday December 17th at 7.30 pm, with Nick Sales as the tenor soloist and David Walton in the chorus. Full price £17, Senior Citizens £13.
3) Opera della Luna will be at the Lowry in February, performing not G&S but Tales of Offenbach in their own inimitable way on Wed 1st Feb 2017 at 8.00 pm and Thursday 2nd Feb 2.30 and 8.00 pm. Be prepared for anything from this innovative and lively group.
Box office telephone 0843 208 6000
4) Looking ahead, at Buxton Opera House in March;
Wednesday March 8th Madam Butterfly by Heritage Opera – a professional Company. “Nick Sales as Pinkerton and his partner Sarah Helsby Hughes as Cio Cio San lead a cast of 10 in Madam Butterfly with a 28 piece orchestra.”
Thursday March 9th Flanders and Swann by Andrew Nicklin and Donald Maxwell.
Friday March 10th Derby G&S Company perform The Sorcerer
Saturday March 11th Derby G&S Company perform The Mikado
5) AND looking further ahead English Touring Opera will tour Patience in 2017, performing it at Buxton Opera House on May 6th. This is a small group of 8 to 10 performers, with a small orchestra or similar size, all professional we think. We may possibly arrange a Society Group visit to that.
6) Chris Browne has brought some of his sales stock this afternoon. You may find a useful Christmas present for yourself or someone else. And remember you can visit his website: www.gilbertandsullivanonline.com or phone him on 01422 844744. As well as a large stock of attractive G&S items he has for sale two CDs of his own compositions, Midsummer Moods, £10 and Joie de Vivre, also £10. They are most enjoyable.
7) Jean has brought some G&S Christmas cards and two greeting cards designed by the late Geoffrey Shovelton, 25p each. More may be ordered from her. Also she has brought some diaries.
8) Please take programme cards and Society publicity leaflets if you can to anywhere near you to display to encourage more members; local library, evening class centre, music shop, etc. If anyone will be going to The Lowry or Manchester Arndale shopping centre and can take some please do. Don’t know if The Lowry displays notices about events other than their own, but worth asking. Jean has taken them to the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester Library, Palace Theatre and Forsyth’s music shop.