The Gilbert & Sullivan Society : Manchester
Notices: Tuesday November 4th 2018
1) Our President, David Mackie, has written a book entitled “Nothing Like Work or Right in the D’Oyly Carte”. It is a personal memoir of his time in the Carte, first as repetiteur and then as Chorus master and associate conductor. I feel sure it will be most interesting. Available from all major retailers. Publisher: Grosvenor House Publishing Limited (that’s actually self-publishing). ISBN: 978-1-78623-316-5. Price; £12.99.
2) Oldham Choral Society’s next production will be at the RNCM on Remembrance Sunday 11 November at 7.00pm. It celebrates the end of WW1. Sir Karl Jenkins’ “The Armed Man”, Charles Stanford’s “Songs of the Fleet” and Sir Henry Wood’s “Fantasia on British Sea Songs”. Dean Robinson (bass-baritone) and East Lancs Sinfonia. Conductor Nigel P Wilkinson. Tickets £15, students £5, accompanied children £1, from RNCM Box Office tel 0161 – 907 5555 or OCS’s ticket secretary 0161 – 797 3583. Margaret Hood can no doubt tell you more about this.
3) Sale G&S Society will present a Christmas Concert on Wednesday November 28th at Montague Road United Reformed Church Schoolroom in Sale at 7.30 pm and repeated in Cheadle on Saturday December 15th. Probably a mixture of Christmas music and G&S. Looking further ahead they will present Princess Ida at the Lowry Drama Studio upstairs on Monday, Tuesday Wednesday April 29 & 30 and May 1st next year.
We congratulate them on winning “Most Original Production Concept Spotlight Award 2017 for their Mikado 2017” from the Association of Community Theatre.
For further information or tickets ring Janice Rendell on 0161 – 864 1996
4) Looking further ahead to next year: The next G&S Society Convention weekend, organised by London G&S Society, will be at Grim’s Dyke May 24th to 26th 2019. It is well booked up and there is a waiting list.
5) There are copies of our programme to use for publicity; please take some to display in your local library, evening class centre, music shop or to give to anyone who may be interested in our Society.
6) If you have not yet paid your subscription for this season, which started in April, Barbara Richardson will be delighted to relieve you of £20 at the interval. Cash or cheque. Cheques payable to The Gilbert & Sullivan Society, Manchester (write small!)
7) Chris Browne has brought some G&S memorabilia for sale. Do look at his table. Or order by phone Tel/fax: 01422 844744 or visit www.gilbertandsullivanonline.com to see his online catalogue and order online or by phone.
Also Jean has brought some G&S tote bags (shopping bags) of Bess Defries designs, £7.50, and a few Christmas cards and Greeting cards designed by the late Geoffrey Shovelton, D’Oyly Carte tenor, for sale 25p each.
8) Remember that our next meeting will be on Sunday afternoon December 2nd at 2.30 pm for “Any G&S Questions” and bring and share food. There will be a panel of four people – the rest of us will not be expected to answer questions on the spot, but you may be permitted to chip in if you wish, at the discretion of the chairman, who will be John Coates. We have a good number of fascinating questions but others are welcome – Elva has a list to write them on and a list of food – please write down what you will bring.
Remember that we record (sound only) most of our meetings so if you miss one and would like to hear it, or would like to hear one again, please consult Paul Taylor or Jean Dufty.