The Gilbert & Sullivan Society : Manchester
Notices: Tuesday October 2nd 2018
This is the Harold Sumner meeting, when we think thankfully of him, his friendship to members, his great love of the operas and the appreciation he showed to all our speakers and singers. Also of the generous legacy he left us which helps us pay for good meetings.
1) Marton Operatic will perform The Pirates of Penzance in Lytham St Anne’s at the Lowther Pavilion off the A584 Tuesday to Friday October 166h to 20th at 7.30 pm and on Saturday at 2.30 pm. The venue is ten minutes walk from Lytham Train Station and pay and display parking is available in the grounds of Lowther Gardens. Admission for all performances £14, children and students £5. Tel 01253 794 221. What about a day out in that attractive place?
2) Oldham Choral Society’s next production will be at RNCM on Remembrance Sunday 11 November at 7.00pm. It celebrates the end of WW1. Sir Karl Jenkins’ “The Armed Man”, Charles Stanford’s “Songs of the Fleet” and Sir Henry Wood’s “Fantasia on British Sea Songs”. Dean Robinson (bass-baritone) and East Lancs Sinfonia. Conductor Nigel P Wilkinson. Tickets £15, students £5, accompanied children £1, from RNCM Box Office tel 0161 – 907 5555 or OCS’s ticket secretary 0161 – 797 3583.
3) Sale G&S Society will present a Christmas Concert on Wednesday November 28th at Montague Road United Reformed Church Schoolroom in Sale at 7.30 pm and repeated in Cheadle on Saturday December 15th. Probably a mixture of Christmas music and G&S. Looking further ahead they will present Princess Ida at the Lowry Drama Studio upstairs on Monday, Tuesday Wednesday April 29 & 30 and May 1st next year.
We congratulate them on winning “Most Original Production Concept Spotlight Award 2017 for their Mikado 2017” from the Association of Community Theatre.
For further information or tickets ring Janice Rendell on 0161 – 864 1996
4) Looking further ahead to next year: The next G&S Society Convention weekend, organised by London G&S Society, will be at Grim’s Dyke May 24th to 26th 2019. It is well booked up and there is a waiting list.
5) There are copies of our programme to use for publicity; please take some to display in your local library, evening class centre, music shop or to give to anyone who may be interested in our Society.
6) If you have not yet paid your subscription for this season, which started in April, Barbara Richardson will be delighted to relieve you of £20 at the interval. Cash or cheque. Cheques payable to The Gilbert & Sullivan Society, Manchester (write small!)
7) Chris Browne has brought some G&S memorabilia for sale. Do look at his table. Or order by phone Tel/fax: 01422 844744 or visit www.gilbertandsullivanonline.com to see his online catalogue and order online or by phone.