The next G&S Society Convention weekend,
organised by London G&S Society,
will be at Grim’s Dyke
May 24th to 26th 2019.
The next G&S Society Convention weekend,
1) English National Opera’s Iolanthe at the Coliseum in London; last two performances, this Saturday April 7th, matinee and evening. Directed by Cal McCrystal, Conductor Timothy Henty (he has done a lot of G&S). Cast includes Andrew Shore as the Lord Chancellor, Yvonne Howard as Fairy Queen, Samantha Price as Iolanthe, Ellie Laugharne as Phyllis, Marcus Farnsworth as Strephon, Ben Johnson and Ben McAteer as Tolloller and Mountararat and Barnaby Rea as Private Willis. Seat prices range from £12 to £105. See website www.eno.org
2) Gemini Musical Theatre (formerly Warrington Light Opera) will present The Sorcerer by Gilbert and Sullivan for three performances only, Friday April 13th at 7.30 pm and Saturday April 14th at 2.00 pm and 7.30 pm. Accompanied by Manchester Opera Orchestra. Our member Kay Thomas is leader of that. At The Pyramid, Cultural Quarter, Palmyra Square South, Warrington WA1 1BL. The ticket Secretary, Pauline Whitlow, says ‘I do hope that you will come to see what promises to be a lively and entertaining performance, which has an amusing modern uptake whilst remaining true to Gilbert’s quirky satirical comment on life and, of course, to Sullivan’s wonderful music. Please note there is no allocated seating so I would recommend you arrive as early as possible in order to get the seats you would like.’ Book with her tel: 01925 601 773 or at the Pyramid on 01925 442 345, where they charge £1 booking fee. See also flyer attached.
3) Altrincham Choral Society will perform concert versions of Carmen and L’Arlésienne Suite No. 1, both by Georges Bizet, at the Royal Northern College of Music on Saturday April 21st at 7.30 pm. Manchester Philharmonia. Conductor Steven Roberts.
Our member Robert Jewell’s daughter-in-law, Emma Morwood, is singing Michaela while her fellow graduate of the RNCM, Helen Sharman, is singing Carmen. Tickets £15, accompanied children £2 from Liz Foy 07505 522230 or RNCM box office 907 5555 or book online at www.rnmc.ac.uk
4) Sale Gilbert & Sullivan Society will perform Ruddigore at the Lowry at 7.45 pm Monday April 30th to Friday May 2nd. Tickets £13 – £14. Book online at TheLowry.com or Box Office 0843 208 6010.
Janice Rendel says: “If some members want to come but don’t want to travel to the box office or use the internet to buy tickets, I can go on their behalf and then post them to you or them. I go to the Lowry regularly (the cinema is very cheap at the moment) so it isn’t a problem.”
Contact her on Janice.email@example.com or I will try to find her phone number. Jean.
And their member Carole Mindham says; If you would like to see Ruddigore but can’t get to the Lowry you are invited to the dress rehearsal which will be on Sunday, April 29th at Tony Noden’s school, Bradshawe Hall Primary, Vernon Close, Cheadle Hulme.
I don’t have the time yet but probably 2.30. If you would like to go it would be as well to ring or email me for the start time during the previous week. I do hope you manage to see it, it looks good so far! Carole Mindham 0161 980 6925 Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
5) Woodhouses Church AOS, near Failsworth, will perform Patience, showing on Saturday, 5th May, then Tuesday, 8th, then 9th, 10th, 11th and finally Saturday, 12th May. All performances at 7.30pm. Tickets are £7 (concessions £6), obtainable from Marian on 681 1611 or Norma on 681 9652. A very good Society in a charming little country church.
6) Our visitors in February, The Three Towns Operatic Society’s next production will be Orpheus in the Underworld (Offenbach), Tuesday 15th to Saturday May 19th in St Joseph’s Hall, Chapel Street, Leigh WN7 2PR. Tickets available soon. Ring 01942 605369 or 676594 for more information.
7) Illyria perform an Open Air production of a G&S Opera (and other works) each summer at Lytham Hall FY8 4TQ (for SatNav), Pirates this time, Sunday 19th August at 6.00 pm. Adult price £14, child (5 to 18) £7, senior citizen and Student £11. Gates open 4.00 pm. Performance approx 2 hours 10 mins incl 20 minute interval. PTO
They present the operas innovatively with a small group of people. Margaret Hood and Wilf and Hilary have been in other years and can tell you more about them. Leaflets available.
Tickets www.illyria.co.uk (+5%fee) or Lytham Hall email@example.com (£1.50 postage) or 01253 736652. Note this is of course at the same time as the G&S Festival so many of you will be in Harrogate.
8) There are leaflets about three concerts by Oldham Choral Society, to which Margaret Hood belongs, no G&S this time, Elgar’s “Dream of Gerontius” on Sunday May 6th in RNCM, “At Home”; items by the Society’s members on Friday June 22nd in Chadderton Town Hall and “An Armistice Centenary Concert” on Sunday November 11th in RNCM.
9) Remember our next meeting, the last of this season, will be the AGM plus some entertainment, on Tuesday evening May 8th. Bring your ideas, comments, requests.
10) Looking further ahead: The next G&S Society Convention weekend, organised by London G&S Society, will be at Grim’s Dyke May 24th to 26th 2019.