The Gilbert & Sullivan Society : Manchester
Notices: Sunday March 6th 2018
1) English National Opera will perform Iolanthe at the Coliseum in London on various dates up to April 7th 2018. Directed by Cal McCrystal, Conductor Timothy Henty (he has done a lot of G&S), except Feb 24th and March 9th when the conductor will be Chris Hopkins. Cast includes Andrew Shore as the Lord Chancellor, Yvonne Howard as Fairy Queen, Samantha Price as Iolanthe, Ellie Laugharne as Phyllis, Marcus Farnsworth as Strephon, Ben Johnson and Ben McAteer as Tolloller and Mountararat and Barnaby Rea as Private Willis. Seat prices range from £12 to £105. See website www.eno.org
2) Sale Choral Society and the Lindon Singers will perform Elijah at the RNCM on Sat 17th March.
The baritone soloist is Andrew Greenan.
Soprano -Alexandra Lowe (who trained at the RNCM).
Music Director Russell Medley.
RNCM, Oxford Road M13 9RD. Tickets £18, from RNCM
box office 907 5555 or book online at www.rnmc.ac.uk
3) New Rosemere AOS will perform The Pirates of Penzance on Tuesday March 20th to Saturday March 24th in The Parish Hall Theatre, Christ Church, Walmsley, Egerton, Bolton BL7 9SA at 7.30 pm each evening.
Tickets £13, concessions £11.50 Tuesday to Friday. Order on the website or ring Helen on 01204 300666
4) Manchester University Gilbert & Sullivan Society (MUGSS) will perform Iolanthe each evening at 7.30pm from the 22nd-24th March, with a 2.30pm Saturday matinee. At the Manchester Metropolitan University Union Hall. MUGSS would also like to assure people that no affidavits from thunderstorms will be necessary before receiving your ticket! Just turn up and have fun! £9 full price, £6 concessions or £12 and £9 on Saturday evening. You can order online at www.mugss.org/tickets and collect your tickets on the door.
Stuart Dunlop of MUGSS says; The Manchester Metropolitan Union Hall is located on 21 Higher Cambridge St, Manchester, Postcode M15 6AD.
Parking would be available on Booth Street West, Structure D.
5) Gemini Musical Theatre (formerly Warrington Light Opera) will present The Sorcerer by Gilbert and Sullivan for three performances only, Friday April 13th at 7.30 pm and Saturday April 14th at 2.00 pm and 7.30 pm. Accompanied by Manchester Opera Orchestra.
At The Pyramid, Cultural Quarter, Palmyra Square South, Warrington WA1 1BL.
The ticket Secretary, Pauline Whitlow, says ‘I do hope that you will come to see what promises to be a lively and entertaining performance, which has an amusing modern uptake whilst remaining true to Gilbert’s quirky satirical comment on life and, of course, to Sullivan’s wonderful music. Please note there is no allocated seating so I would recommend you arrive as early as possible in order to get the seats you would like.’ Book with her tel: 01925 601 773 or at the Pyramid on 01925 442 345, where they charge £1 booking fee.
6) Altrincham Choral Society will perform concert versions of Carmen and L’Arlésienne Suite No. 1, both by Georges Bizet, at the Royal Northern College of Music on Saturday April 21st at 7.30 pm. Manchester Philharmonia. Conductor Steven Roberts. Our member Robert Jewell’s daughter-in-law, Emma Morwood, is singing Michaela while her fellow graduate of the RNCM, Helen Sharman, is singing Carmen.
Tickets £15, accompanied children £2 from Liz Foy 07505 522230 or RNCM box office 907 5555 or book online at www.rnmc.ac.uk
7) Sale Gilbert & Sullivan Society will perform Ruddigore at the Lowry 7.45 pm Monday April 30th to Friday May 2nd.
Tickets £13 – £14.
Book online at TheLowry.com or Box Office 0843 208 6010.
Janice Rendel says: “If some members want to come but don’t want to travel to the box office or use the internet to buy tickets, I can go on their behalf and then post them to you or them. I go to the Lowry regularly (the cinema is very cheap at the moment) so it isn’t a problem.” Contact her on Janice.firstname.lastname@example.org or I will try to find her phone number. Jean.
8) Our visitors of last meeting, The Three Towns Operatic Society, next production will be Orpheus in the Underworld (Offenbach),
Tuesday 15th to Saturday May 19th
in St Joseph’s Hall, Chapel Street, Leigh WN7 2PR.
Tickets available soon. Ring 01942 605369 or 676594 for more information.
9) Looking further ahead: The next G&S Society Convention weekend, organised by London G&S Society, will be at Grim’s Dyke May 24th to 26th 2019.