The Gilbert & Sullivan Society : Manchester
Notices: Sunday February 4th 2018
1) English National Opera will perform Iolanthe at the Coliseum in London on various dates from February 13th 2018 to April 7th 2018. Directed by Cal McCrystal, Conductor Timothy Henty (he has done a lot of G&S), except Feb 24th and March 9th when the conductor will be Chris Hopkins. Cast includes Andrew Shore as the Lord Chancellor, Yvonne Howard as Fairy Queen, Samantha Price as Iolanthe, Ellie Laugharne as Phyllis, Marcus Farnsworth as Strephon, Ben Johnson and Ben McAteer as Tolloller and Mountararat and Barnaby Rea as Private Willis. Seat prices range from £12 to £105. See website www.eno.org
2) The Operetta Company will perform Desert Song at Trinity Church Hall, Market Street, Farnworth BL4 8EX on Wednesday 7th March to Friday 9th March at 7.30 and Saturday 10th at 3pm. ie 3 nights and one matinee. Music by Sigmund Romberg. It is semi staged with costumed principals, some dialogue and some narration, and static chorus. Three of the people who sang on Sunday are principles in it, the tenor, Allen, who stood in the middle of the five and was the first tenor to sing (Allen) being the Red Shadow. Tickets are £10 front of hall and £8 rear. Ticket 07599951429 or Wilf and Hilary Deakin can get tickets: ring them on 01942 672093.
3) Sale Choral Society and the Lindon Singers will perform Elijah at the RNCM on Sat 17th March. The baritone soloist for that is the now world renowned Andrew Greenan. Soprano Alexndra Lowe (who trained atthe RNCM). Music Director Russell Medley. RNCM, Oxford Road M13 9RD. Tickets £18, from RNCM box office 907 5555 or book online at www.rnmc.ac.uk
4) New Rosemere AOS will perform The Pirates of Penzance on Tuesday March 20th to Saturday March 24th in The Parish Hall Theatre, Christ Church, Walmsley, Egerton, Bolton BL7 9SA at 7.30 pm each evening. Tickets £13, concessions £11.50 Tuesday to Friday. Order on the website or ring Helen on 01204 300666
Prior to that they will give a concert on Saturday 17th February in St Paul’s Church. Astley Bridge.
5) Gemini Musical Theatre (formerly Warrington Light Opera) will present The Sorcerer by Gilbert and Sullivan for three performances only, Friday April 13th at 7.30 pm and Saturday April 14th at 2.00 pm and 7.30 pm. Accompanied by Manchester Opera Orchestra. I think our member Kay Thomas is leader of that. At The Pyramid, Cultural Quarter, Palmyra Square South, Warrington WA1 1BL. The ticket Secretary, Pauline Whitlow, says ‘I do hope that you will come to see what promises to be a lively and entertaining performance, which has an amusing modern uptake whilst remaining true to Gilbert’s quirky satirical comment on life and, of course, to Sullivan’s wonderful music. Please note there is no allocated seating so I would recommend you arrive as early as possible in order to get the seats you would like.’ Book with her tel: 01925 601 773 or at the Pyramid on 01925 442 345, where they charge £1 booking fee. See also flyer attached.
6) Altrincham Choral Society will perform concert versions of Carmen and L’Arlésienne Suite No. 1, both by Georges Bizet, at the Royal Northern College of Music on Saturday April 21st at 7.30 pm. Manchester Philharmonia. Conductor Steven Roberts. Our member Robert Jewell’s step daughter, Emma Morwood, is singing Michaela while her fellow graduate of the RNCM, Helen Sharman, is singing Carmen. Tickets £15, accompanied children £2 from Liz Foy 07505 522230 or RNCM box office 907 5555 or book online at www.rnmc.ac.uk
7) Sale Gilbert & Sullivan Society will perform Ruddigore at the Lowry at 7.45 pm Monday April 30th to Friday May 2nd. Tickets £13 – £14. Book online at TheLowry.com or Box Office 0843 208 6010
8) Our visitors this afternoon, The Three Towns Operatic Society’s next production will be Orpheus in the Underworld (Offenbach), Tuesday 15th to Saturday May 19th in St Joseph’s Hall, Chapel Street, Leigh WN7 2PR. Tickets available soon. Ring 01942 605369 or 676594 for more information.
9) Looking further ahead: The next G&S Society Convention weekend, organised by London G&S Society, will be at Grim’s Dyke May 24th to 26th 2019.
Remember that we record (sound only) most of our meetings so if you miss one and would like to hear it, or would like to hear one again, please consult Paul Taylor or Jean Dufty