The Gilbert & Sullivan Society : Manchester
Notices: Tuesday 7th March 2017
1) If you need to pay the balance for your booking for the Convention Friday April 21st to Sunday April 23rd at the Alma Lodge Hotel in Stockport, or anything else to do with the Convention, please see Jean.
2) At Buxton Opera House this week:
Wednesday March 8th
Madam Butterfly by Heritage Opera – a professional Company. “Nick Sales as Pinkerton and his partner Sarah Helsby Hughes as Cio Cio San lead a cast of 10 in Madam Butterfly with a 28 piece orchestra.”
Thursday March 9th
Flanders and Swann by Andrew Nicklin and Donald Maxwell.
Friday March 10th
Derby G&S Company perform The Sorcerer
Saturday March 11th
Derby G&S Company perform The Mikado
3) Also this week Opera North at the Lowry performing Hansel and Gretel, Cinderella and The Snow Maiden. See the Lowry website.
4) We heard on Tuesday of a concert at Cross Street Chapel to raise funds to tackle homelessness in Manchester. Saturday March 18th at 7.00. Emily Hooker from RNCM. £10. Organised through Manchester City Council and the Homelessness Charter. See https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/fundraising-concert-to-tackle-homelessness-in-manchester-tickets-32404613070
5) On Saturday 25th March at 7.30 pm Salford Choral Society will sing Carl Orff’s energetic Carmina Burana, accompanied by two pianos and a variety of percussion. See a leaflet or ask David Walton for more details.
6) Manchester Universities Gilbert and Sullivan Society (MUGSS) will perform The Pirates of Penzance, Thursday, 23rd – Saturday, 25th March, 2017at 7.30 pm AND on Saturday Matinee: 2.30pm
Door open half an hour beforehand Main Hall, The Union MMU, 21 Higher Cambridge Street, M15 6AD, Manchester
Tickets: £9.00 | £6.00 Concessions Saturday Evening: £12.00 | £9.00 Concessions Tickets are available on the door and online in advance on the The Union MMU Website.
If you wish to purchase your ticket in advance, here’s the link to the page:
7) We have heard today of a concert by the Promenade Orchestra on April 2nd at 3.00 pm at Morecambe including some Sullivan. Conducted by Howard Rogerson who will be giving us an evening (or afternoon) next season. The Platform, Central Promenade, Morecambe, opposite the Midland Hotel.
Tickets from the Platform Box Office £15, £13 (concession) £7 (child) 01524 582803
8) English Touring Opera will tour Patience in 2017, performing it at Buxton Opera House on May 6th. Sometimes this Group performs with about 8 performers and a small orchestra but on this occasion there will be 17 singers and a 35 person orchestra. Traditional production. ‘There will not be any new or experimental interpretation just for the sake of it.’
Some very good “up and coming” people have been with this group in their early days including Vivian Tierney. That’s a recommendation!
We thought about a Society visit but twelve members had already booked. Also as some people like the Stalls, some Dress Circle and some Upper Circle we could not get enough people in any one section of the theatre. There are no concessions in the Dress Circle. Senior Citizens get £3 off in other areas.
If you want to go please do your own booking with Buxton Opera House on the Internet or by phone 01298 72190. Quite a lot of seats are already booked up.
We hope to arrange a meal together beforehand for those who want – details nearer the time.
Stalls: Mid–stalls. £36.50 full price or £33.50 for Senior citizens or disabled.
Stalls front 3 rows or back 2 rows £32.50 full price or £29.50 for Senior or disabled.
Dress Circle £36.50. No reductions.
Upper Circle £28 full price, £25 Senior or disabled.
Gallery not being booked.
9) Woodhouses Church Operatic Society Ashton Road, Woodhouses M35 9NL near Failsworth, NE Manchester are doing Trial by Jury and HMS Pinafore at 7.30pm on Saturday, 6th May, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, 9th, 10th, 11th 12th May and Saturday, 13th May
Tickets £7 (£6 concessions) on all nights – can be obtained from 0161 681 1611 or 0161 681 9652
10) The Three Towns Operatic Society will also be performing Trial by Jury and HMS Pinafore Tuesday May 16th to Saturday May 20th in St Joseph’s Hall in Leigh. More details nearer the time or ask Wilf and Hilary.
11) There will be an outdoor performance of The Mikado by Illyria at Lytham Hall for one evening only on Sunday August 20th at 6.00 pm. Tickets £13 but we hope to get some reduction. Take a rug or garden chairs to sit on and a picnic. Performance by 6 actor/singers and accompaniment on a keyboard but “despite the reduction in scale not a single word from W S Gilbert’s libretto is cut, nor a single note or harmony from Sir Arthur Sullivan’s Score unsung”.
Ask Jean about booking.
12) Some members of the Society will take Helen and Michael Lentin out for Afternoon Tea on Sunday March 19th to celebrate her 60 years as a member of this Society. If you knew Helen and would like to join this occasion please tell Jean. You would pay for yourself and the Society will pay for Helen and Michael.
13) Remember Chris Browne has sales stock. Also you can visit his website: www.gilbertandsullivanonline.com or phone him on 01422 844744. As well as a large stock of attractive G&S items he has for sale two CDs of his own compositions, Midsummer Moods, £10 and Joie de Vivre, also £10. They are most enjoyable.
14) Please take programme cards and Society publicity leaflets if you can to anywhere near you to display to encourage more members; local library, evening class centre, music shop, The Lowry, Manchester Arndale shopping Centre etc.