The Gilbert & Sullivan Society : Manchester
Notices: Sunday April 3rd 2016
Remember that we now record (sound only) most of our meetings so if you miss one and would like to hear it, or know anyone else who missed one, please consult Paul Taylor or Jean Dufty.
1) The Three Towns Operatic Society will perform ‘Waltzes from Vienna’, which includes the immortal Blue Danube, at St Joseph’s Hall, Mather Lane, Leigh WN7 2PR. May 10th to 14th at 7.30 pm. For tickets see Wilf and Hilary or ring 01942 883722.
2) Woodhouses Church Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society (near Failsworth) will produce the Mikado in this charming church on Saturday 7th May at 7.30 pm, then on Tuesday 10th to Saturday 14th May inclusive at 7.30 pm. Tickets from Marion on 0161 681 1611 or Norma on 0161 681 9652. £7 full price, £6 for Seniors.
3) Sale G&S Society will perform Iolanthe at The Lowry Theatre, Salford Quays Monday 23rd to Wednesday 25th May at 7.30 pm, tickets £12 – £14, box office 0843 208 6000 and The Mikado at The Waterside Theatre, Sale Thursday 20th to Saturday 22nd October at 7.30 pm. Box office 0161 – 912 5616. Ticket price to be confirmed.
Also see leaflets. It is advisable to book for all these. The website is www.SaleGass.org.uk
4) D’Oyly Carte Opera Company jointly with Scottish Opera;
Glasgow Thurs May 5th to Sat May 14th
Inverness Thurs May 19th to Sat May 21st
Aberdeen Thurs May 26th to Sat May 28th
Edinburgh Wed June 1st to Sun June 5th
Belfast Frid June 10th and Sat June 11th
Newcastle Wed June 15th to Sat June 18th
Bristol Wed June 22nd to Sat June 25th
Southampton Wed June 29th to Sat July 2nd
5) On Sunday 10 July at 6.00 pm Lytham Hall will play host to one of the first performances by Illyria of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic opera Ruddigore. We have been offered four free tickets – see Jean.
6) From our member Vincent Conyngham; St Martin’s Ampleforth children (Years 7 & 8, ie aged 12 and 13) will be performing ‘The Mikado’ on Friday 1st July at 7.00 pm (school post code is YO62 4HP). The performance will be accompanied by an adult Orchestra.
“If anyone would like to attend they can call me on 01439 766648. Tickets are free.”
The School is located 18 miles north of York at Gilling Castle.
The performance takes place in the huge Sports Hall (it does not look like a Sports Hall when we have finished with it!) It is rare that children are taught G & S these days, so I am hoping that we can get some Press & TV coverage.”
7) The International G&S Festival Professional Opera Company will perform at Buxton Opera House in July;
Yeomen on Tuesday 26th and Friday 29th,
Pirates on Wednesday 27th, matinee and evening,
and The Mikado on Saturday 30th, matinee and evening.
On Thursday 28th Derby and Trent Company will perform HMS Pinafore and Trial by Jury.
Buxton Opera House Box Office 01298 72190.
8) The International G&S Festival in Harrogate this year runs from Wednesday 3rd August to Sunday 21st August. There is a cornucopia of attractive performances, professional and amateur, talks, concerts and other delights. I highly recommend it all – go to as much as you have stamina for!! Full programme on the website http://www.gsfestivals.organd from email@example.com Tel 01422 323252 Gilbert & Sullivan Festivals, the Old Vicarage, All Souls Road, Halifax HX3 6DR.
9) Chris Browne is here with a stock of his attractive G&S items. Also remember he has for sale two CDs of his own compositions, Midsummer Moods, £10 and Joie de Vivre, also £10. They are most enjoyable. At other times phone him on 01422 844744 or visit his website: www.gilbertandsullivanonline.com
10) Remember our next meeting, the last of this season, will be the Annual General Meeting on Tuesday 3rd May, followed by a short entertainment. We hope many of you will come and ideas for programme items or other ideas about the Society are welcome at any time – speak to any Committee member; David Walton, Jean Dufty, Barbara Richardson, Gillian Henn, John Coates, Ray Walker (who is cruising on the Danube at present), Chris Browne or Paul Taylor.